Friday, October 17, 2014

Italian Tortellini Soup

Daily Dish Magazine Foodie Friends Friday
 Every morning when I get up, I look out the bathroom window
that frames the scene of our back yard.
Every morning there are more leaves on the ground.
For some reason this view makes me all warm and fuzzy.
Tell me I'm crazy.....It's okay.
Because I know what is coming after all the leaves are off the trees.
But the warm and fuzzy feeling directs me to soup.
This Italian Tortellini Soup is one of the best.
Sure did warm my soul.
And Johnie loved it too.
 I didn't really get a chance this week to touch on our last weekend.
Me working second shift hours has really been tough on us.
We never see each other during the week.
So when the weekends get here they are all about us.
Last Friday while I was at work Johnie sent me a text that read:
"I hope you love what I got for us."
Really?
I'm stuck at work and he sends a text like that?
I couldn't wait for my shift to end.
But the hours drug on, and on, and on.....
So by the time I made it home at 3:00 a.m. Johnie was fast asleep.
Which meant I would have to wait longer for the surprise he had planned.
Saturday morning he presented this gorgeous (picture above) hand painted
portrait of us standing beside his Harley.
This picture is huge and takes up one whole wall in our game room.
Johnie is definitely a man that thinks outside the box.
I am so lucky to have him in my life.
 Shall we get back to the soup?
Give me a minute to dry my eyes.....

This soup doesn't take long to throw together.
This is what I did:
Italian Tortellini Soup

In a large mixing bowl mix together:
5 c. hot water
4 TBS chicken soup base
1-7 oz. envelope dry Italian salad dressing mix
1-14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
3/4 tsp. dried basil
a lite shake of red pepper flakes

In a dutch oven I squeezed and crumbled 7 chicken breakfast sausage links. 
Add:
1 medium chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped fine
Brown the sausage, onion, and garlic
When this is browned add the liquid mixture
Bring to a boil
Add 1 package refrigerated cheese tortellini (9 oz)
Chop 1-10 oz. package fresh baby spinach
Add the spinach just before tortellini is done
Allow the spinach to wilt

And there you have it! Italian Tortellini Soup

See Ya'all Soon

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments. Don't be afraid to leave one.